[Grml] memtest86+ in grml 2022.11

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Mon Oct 16 12:13:32 CEST 2023

Hi,

* Sebastian Bachmann [Sat Oct 14, 2023 at 06:26:11PM +0200]:

> I just had the issue that the memtest86+ on my grml usb stick always froze
> during testing. I had this issue now several times with newer hardware and
> it is certainly a problem with old memtest86+.
> My stick had 2021.07 on it and I replaced it by 2022.11 now. The release
> notes say that apparently memtest86+ v6 should be integrated, but it still
> boots v5.01?
> To check the memory now, I grabbed another stick and dd'ed the memtest image
> for v6.2 - which works perfectly and the memtest is currently running.

Good to know :)

> I just wondered if grml 2022.11 should ship memtest86+ v6 but still ships
> 5.01 by mistake or if this is a mistake in the documentation (or perhaps
> means something different)?

The grml64-full 2022.11-ISO indeed ships memtest86+ in version
6.00-1 and this is the one that also starts when booting in *EFI*
mode, but in *BIOS* mode it indeed ends up as memtest86+ v5.01.

This is caused by a combination of different facts, but long story
short, the memtest binary for BIOS boot ends up being the one from
the building host (and not the ones from the live system, as already
being done for EFI situation). This is known as
https://github.com/grml/grml/issues/178 and
https://github.com/grml/grml-live/issues/128.

Now that we have Debian bookworm with memtest86+ v6.10-4 available
as base, things should hopefully be easier to sort out. :)

Thanks for reporting, Sebastian!

regards