[Grml] memtest86+ in grml 2022.11

Sebastian Bachmann hello at reox.at
Thu Oct 19 09:35:15 CEST 2023

Hi!

Am 16.10.2023 um 12:13 schrieb Michael Prokop:
 >> I just had the issue that the memtest86+ on my grml usb stick always
froze

 > Good to know :)

This is a Problem I saw a lot starting maybe with the Intel i-Series.
Sometimes it helped to use the Failsafe mode, but on a 3rd-gen i3 not
even that worked. But it is also good to see that this was eventually
fixed in the newer versions of memtest86+.

> The grml64-full 2022.11-ISO indeed ships memtest86+ in version
> 6.00-1 and this is the one that also starts when booting in *EFI*
> mode, but in *BIOS* mode it indeed ends up as memtest86+ v5.01.
>
> This is caused by a combination of different facts, but long story
> short, the memtest binary for BIOS boot ends up being the one from
> the building host (and not the ones from the live system, as already
> being done for EFI situation). This is known as
> https://github.com/grml/grml/issues/178 and
> https://github.com/grml/grml-live/issues/128.
>
> Now that we have Debian bookworm with memtest86+ v6.10-4 available
> as base, things should hopefully be easier to sort out. :)

Aha I see! Yes, I was testing with a good ol' BIOS.
Looking forward to the next GRML release then ;)

Best,
Sebastian