[Grml] Updating USB stick with persistency option?

Stefan Weiss weiss at foo.at
Tue Feb 28 20:03:02 CET 2012

On 27.02.2012 15:24, Stefan Weiss wrote:
> I'm trying out to the persistency feature for the first time. I had a
> 4GB USB stick lying around, so I'm following the example in the wiki
> more or less verbatim.

...and it worked, in a way, but I'm getting a few unexpected warnings
and error messages. Maybe someone on the list can advise.

grml2usb had warnings, but appeared to complete successfully anyway:

,------------------------------------------------
# grml2usb --bootoptions="persistent keyboard=de xkeyboard=de" \
        grml96_2011.12.iso /dev/sdb2

Executing grml2usb version 0.11.6
Using ISO grml96_2011.12.iso
Identified grml flavour "grml32".
Copying files. This might take a while....
Warning: could not find flavour directory for grml32
Identified grml flavour "grml64".
Copying files. This might take a while....
Warning: could not find flavour directory for grml64
Installing default MBR
Installing syslinux as bootloader
Note: grml flavour grml32 was installed as the default booting system.
Note: you can boot flavour grml32 using 'grml32' on the commandline.
Note: you can boot flavour grml64 using 'grml64' on the commandline.
Finished execution of grml2usb (0.11.6). Have fun with your grml system.
`------------------------------------------------

When I boot the grml32 variant, I see

,------------------------------------------------
Begin: Mounting "/live/image//live/grml32//grml32.squashfs" on
   "//grml32.squashfs" via "/dev/loop0" ... done.
Warning: impossible to include the ROOT Snapshot (o)
Warning: impossible to include the HOME Snapshot (o)
done.
Begin: Running /scripts/live-bottom ... done.
INIT: version 2.88 booting
Mount point '/grml32.squashfs' does not exist. Skipping mount. ...
   (warning)
* If your system hangs now, disable udev with bootoption "noudev".
... (snip) ...
* Starting gpm in background.   [ok]
chown: cannot access '/home/grml': No such file or directory
rsync: mkdir "/home/grml" failed: Permission denied (13)
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at main.c(605) [Receiver=3.0.9]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (9 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(605)
   [sender=3.0.9]
* Finished execution of main grml startup.
`------------------------------------------------

The /home/grml directory is missing, but otherwise the system came up
fine. Dummy files created in /home and /var are still there after a reboot.

The amd_64 mode doesn't boot correctly on a Thinkpad T510. The last
thing I see is:

,------------------------------------------------
  * Running grml64 2011.12 Release Codename Knecht Rootrecht [2011-12-23]
  * Finished early booting sequence. [ ok ]
  * Searching for GRML file, this might take a few seconds...
Begin: Loading essential drivers ...done
Begin: Running /scripts/live-premount ... done
Begin: Mounting root file system ... Begin: Running
/scripts/live-premount ... done

   [ASCII Debian swirl]
         BOOT FAILED!
         This image failed to boot.

   [some generic info text]

   live-boot will now start a shell. The error message was:
     Unable to find a medium containing a live file system

Busybox v1.19.3 [...]

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
(initramfs)
`------------------------------------------------

The /live-boot.log file doesn't contain anything interesting. Curiously,
when I reboot with the debug=1 option, I get a little further than that
(zsh loads ok). I uploaded the syslog and live-boot.log here:

   http://foo.at/tmp/2012/grml64.live-boot.log
   http://foo.at/tmp/2012/grml64.syslog

I can live without the 64-bit variant, and I can just create the missing
/home/grml, if that's all. But I'm afraid that something else might have
gone wrong and will bite me later on.

Thanks,
Stefan