[Grml] Using grub2-dev in grml2usb suggestion for me.

Charles Hewson cahewson at eskimo.com
Thu Oct 6 16:41:35 CEST 2011

Hi,
I work off two USB's when on the road. First is created with grml2usb on
2011.05 and a GRMLCFG partition for persistence. Second is created with
grml-crypto for for /home/someuser and /etc/vault. I was about to
re-script what I do manually at boot when I discovered grub2 development
tree now has a luks.mod (testing needed & i'm willing). I have built it
from src and installed into grml-chroot on a squeeze host.  I expect to
use grml-live per remastering instructions and then grml2usb.

GOAL;
  Phase 1 usb layout;
	1 Meg unencrypted boot/decrypt area
	remainder fat16 encrypted /boot. grml & grml64.
  Phase 2
	Unencrypted boot/decrypt area
	Remanider lvm2/luks encrypted (for single passphrase at boot)
		grml2usb partition with several flavors
		GRMLCFG partition
		home-rw
		live-rw
		home-sn (live-snapshots)
		live-sn.

I plan to contribute it back as either a --luks option on grml2usb or
seporate script.

Have I missed any issues in reasearch you are aware of ?
Is this approach logical ?
Any pointers on how to proceede from chroot to usb ?
I'm open to any suggestions and could post bata of process as it would
need to be tested on more hardware than I have available.

Thanks for your input,
Charles