[Grml] How are blind grml users handling current web technologies?

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Wed Nov 2 07:38:28 CET 2011

Doug Smith <braillefingers at gmx.com> wrote:

> I am wishing to change back to GRML which I haven't been able to use
> in years.  The main reason is that the gui world is going to change
> and there have been problems with accessibility.  This doesn't, of
> course happen with good old command line, of course, and I just wonder
> if some of the blind people using grml now can tell me about their
> work-aroundds for such problems as flash and javascript.

I don't use GRML as my primary system - I use Debian instead, and just install
Gnome, Orca and Iceweasel (Debian's version of Firefox).

You should be able to install these on a GRML system as well.

Soon, it may also be possible to use Chromium and to install ChromeVox with
the Lois TTS extension (assuming that you want to use speech output).

The above solve the problem of making Javascript-intensive Web sites more
accessible. Of course, it isn't quite so simple, since the Web sites
themselves often have to implement accessibility on their side in order to
interoperate with such client-side tools.

I also avoid Web sites that rely on Flash. This is relatively easy to do. I
can't recall any Flash-based site that I have wanted to use ever, let alone
one that I've had a really compelling reason to use.

Mplayer and its codec support should solve your streaming audio needs. HTML 5,
with its video support, is displacing Flash for video applications, as
demonstrated by what Google now offer on youtube.com.

Apart from running a Web browser, I currently have little reason to run an X
environment, so I work primarily from the shell and from my favourite text
applications, which are well supported by GRML.

I've been using Linux as my only operating system since the late 90s and I
haven't yet been tempted to switch to anything else.