[Grml] How are blind grml users handling current web technologies?

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Wed Nov 2 15:14:56 CET 2011

* Doug Smith [Wed Nov 02, 2011 at 03:35:49AM +0100]:

> , everyone on the list. I am writing this to see how blind grml users
> are handling current web technologies such as flash and javascript.
[...]

A good moment to jump in for me, on behalf of the Grml team: I want
to mention that the upcoming releases of Grml will no longer provide
the accessibility features we used to ship so far.

Please let me explain:

The reason for dropping accessibility support within Grml is that we
can't keep it up any longer. None of us Grml developers use any of
those features on our own nor do we have people using it in our
surroundings.

When problems with kernel modules, user space software and/or their
integration within Grml show up we have to work in this area. But
we're lacking manpower in the Grml team and the present manpower
is needed in other areas to keep the project up and running.

Troughout the last ~8 years - since the beginnings of Grml - the
feedback and help in this area was pretty limited overall, both by
developers as well as users. The feedback when asking for testing of
accessibility features in release candidates was close to zero.

In the meanwhile Debian itself became better and better with regards
to accessibility, thanks to great efforts by people like Samuel
Thibault and Mario Lang. AFAIK the debian-installer provides espeak
support nowadays, orca seems to be well established, etc.

Since we don't want to get known for half baken solutions we'll be
dropping the accessibility features from Grml starting with the
upcoming stable release.

If you are interested in accessibility support within Debian and its
derivatives we encourage you to check out the Debian-Accessibility
project (see http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-accessibility/ for
further details) and join their efforts.

regards,
-mika- - on behalf of the Grml project