[Grml] How are blind grml users handling current web technologies?

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Wed Nov 2 22:09:50 CET 2011

Hello,
Firstly my main use of Linux on an installed system is using ArchLinux,
I tend to use GRML only as a LiveCD (eg as a rescue CD).

For an installed system I normally browse the internet in firefox in
gnome. This probably is the best way for getting a browser which will
work with most websites. Also while flash content is inaccessible to
orca (flash content is inaccessible on everything bu windows),
flashplayer in firefox will play videos/audio where it is set to
automatically start playing. I know there have been issues with gnome 3
accessibility, however running from it possibly won't help matters, the
bugs need to be tracked down somehow.

OK, I accept there are times when you possibly want to just get things
done, so that is normally where I turn to the Mac (I am having issues
with speakup working on my computers so the command line isn't a great
option for me in Linux).

For general browsing in the command line I would use lynx, however if
javascript support is needed then links2 or elinks is another option (I
am not sure whether edbrowse supports javascript, I think it might). As
for flash support, I don't think there is any simple, ready set up
solution, however may be some of the follow may help with some flash
needs. The are clients to many popular services where you do not need to
use a web browser. An example would be, there are some scripts for
accessing BBC iplayer content from the command line where it can
download the program onto your system in a more standard format you can
play with something like mplayer (or if using gnome totem), for example
audio from radio programs I think can be saved as m4a files. There is
also a client for youtube. There may be other clients for other
services, but these are the ones I have paid any attention to.

I hope some of this helps you.

Michael Whapples