[Grml] How are blind grml users handling currentweb technologies?

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Nov 2 17:24:02 CET 2011

From: "Christian Hofstaedtler" <ch at grml.org>
To: <grml at ml.grml.org>
> speakup kernel modules and espeakup have already been removed in the daily
> builds; they will not make
> it into the next release.

Okay, now I'm unclear as to why this is. The original post said the grml
developers don't want to do anything half baked. But including speakup &
espeak isn't doing it half baked. That's just mainstream. You don't need to
do anything fancy anymore to provide accessibility.

I mean, I can see dropping that script you used to supply that started
software speech. I could never remember what to type so I always just
started speech myself at the command line. Maybe the grml developers are
under the impression that blind people don't use grml. I don't think that's
true. In fact, there seems to be several of us blind people on this list.
For every one of us, there are probably dozens or hundreds of others.

I think the grml developers should think hard about this decision. Dropping
speakup isn't like dropping other features. If grml can't recognize
someoby's old ethernet card, they're not going to lose their job. But if I
can't use grml to rescue a server, I might lose my job.