[Grml] Let me reframe the question, then I'll go join the devel list...

Tom {Tomcat} Oehser tom at toms.net
Wed Dec 28 14:28:53 CET 2011

So, I will take the suggestion to go participate on the devel list...

And I understand the reluctance to just keep stuff that isn't tested...

And, it even makes sense to see what people scream about, after all,
there is an old saying, if you don't wear it for a year, throw it away...

But, I think it is fair to re-frame the question, in a _rescue_ context.

For rescue, one often finds oneself suddenly with _only_ one's rescue
media.  Having the latest kernel isn't so important, but being able to
quickly and easily do something-or-other *at all* is important.

So the question is, we've been talking about what 11.12 removes.  For
_rescue_, what does it _add_ over 11.5?  EFI boot support is a candidate
for something that would matter, but cleanup, mDNS, auto-startups, build
stuff for grml, zsh config, terminal fonts, etc . - doesn't really matter.

For me personally, I use grml for rescue and reformats and recoveries.
Often I boot virtual machines with it, also, to do something-or-other
to a copy of a running machine.  I'm not kidding that the most common
thing I do boils down to chains of netcat/tar/cpio/lzop/gzip/buffer/nc
to move around disk images or virtual machines, and having both buffer
and lzop even considered for removal gives me pause that maybe this tool
is going in a direction different than what my uses and needs are.

So, for me, the question is really simple - 2011.05 is a pefect fit for
my current needs - should I just take that as the gold-standard final-
release and not look back?  2011.05 is working _fine_ for me - even a
couple of hours to learn how to build a -full myself, never mind the hours
to become active, is more driven by idle curiosity and a desire to support
the tool than it is by common sense.  Common sense for me would be, 2011.05
ain't broke and I'm unlikely to have hardware in the next 5 years that cares
for newer kernels.  Common sense would be to slide the write protect tab on
a few USB sticks and figure you've painted your masterpiece and it is done.

The question is, what reasons are there to upgrade?  Aside from it
being smaller and advantages arising directly from it being smaller?

-Tom

--
"Let us do our duty in our shop or our kitchen, the market, the street, the
office, the school, the home, just as faithfully as if we stood in the front