[Grml] removal of "buffer" command? alternatives?

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Wed Dec 28 16:36:23 CET 2011

* Csillag Tamas [Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 03:24:49PM +0100]:

> I also have a valid usecase.
> (Maybe not one that grml targets.)

> I used grml on my thinkpad x40 for a year when its expensive and
> special HDD died. It served me quite well.
> I also created a remastered version with the newest firefox and ubuntu
> repo chromium on it.

> What am I saying is that with these tools in question already
> available it was (not perfect, but) quite usable.

> When I left my pendrive in my friends car who gave me a lift to
> debconf11 I tried grml-live to streamline the bootprocess for a brand
> new grml and it also worked quite well.

> So when I am talking about a tool I am also thinking about grml as an
> educational tool, survive sysadmin minimal desktop and
> learning/experimenting/development environment.
> (Which all can be invalid from another point of view.)

:)

> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 01:56:57PM +0100, Michael Prokop wrote:
> > * Csillag Tamas [Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 11:08:29AM +0100]:

> > * taking care of bugs (see http://bts.grml.org/grml/) and
> >   user support ("why doesn't foo work?")

> I think most of the package related bugs is a valid debian bug also.
> So it could make sense to forward to the debian bts.

Absolutely, and we take care of that already. But it's work that
needs to be done, and the more packages we ship the more bugs we
might (and usually) run into. And there *are* bugs which prevent us
from building daily ISOs which then need special attention and
workarounds/patches/.... That's where we need help as well.