[Grml] serial console with grml_2011.12-rc1

Thomas Köhler jean-luc at picard.franken.de
Fri Dec 16 10:13:16 CET 2011

Hello all,

Lupe Christoph wrote:
> I just downloaded grml_2011.12-rc1 and booted it on my game PC.
>
> Using alsamixer, I found that all channels Except "Master" were at 0 dB
> and muted. When I unmuted the stereo channels ("Front") in alsamixer
> and turned up the volume, I was able to hear a WAV file.
>
> Now, alsamixer is written using the kind of ASCII graphics that will
> get any Braille device to quit the job, but maybe you know a program
> that will allow a blind person to change the settings.

amixer is your friend.
Without any commandline arguments, it will dump current settings
and limits, and you can call it with arguments to set or get the
volume for one single control:

~> amixer sget Master
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined penum
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 31 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
~> amixer sset Master 22
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined penum
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 22 [71%] [-13.50dB] [on]

So in this example, I set Master down from 100% to 71%.

HTH,
Thomas

 Thomas Köhler       Email:       jean-luc at picard.franken.de
     <><             WWW:              http://gott-gehabt.de