[Grml] serial console with grml_2011.12-rc1

Lupe Christoph lupe at lupe-christoph.de
Fri Dec 16 09:06:55 CET 2011

On Thursday, 2011-12-15 at 09:17:46 -0600, John Heim wrote:

> I am not sure
> why sound is not working but I think its muted. I haven't been able
> to get sound on any of the machines I've tried this release on and
> that's 4 different machines.

I just downloaded grml_2011.12-rc1 and booted it on my game PC.

Using alsamixer, I found that all channels Except "Master" were at 0 dB
and muted. When I unmuted the stereo channels ("Front") in alsamixer
and turned up the volume, I was able to hear a WAV file.

Now, alsamixer is written using the kind of ASCII graphics that will
get any Braille device to quit the job, but maybe you know a program
that will allow a blind person to change the settings.

BTW, unless you like hearing your dog bark (or not...), there are a few
WAV files included with GRML. You find them in /usr/share/sounds/alsa .

HTH,
Lupe Christoph
--
| It is a well-known fact in any organisation that, if you want a job    |
| done, you should give it to someone who is already very busy.          |