[Grml] Installing/configuring plain-Debian system with grml-specific kernel/Speakup/other options

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Tue May 11 12:22:28 CEST 2010

OK, I'm not fully sure whether what I will suggest will work, but worth
suggesting it.

I guess you could just add the GRML repositories to the debian system
and install the desired GRML packages. I imagine for you to do this it
will require you to chroot into the new system before rebooting.

The one question which possibly needs raising is which branch of debian
do you intend to use (stable/testing/unstable)? I ask this because I
think all GRML packages are against unstable.

I think now debian provides speakup and espeakup in unstable (speakup
may have been provided for some time in stable). As for the wireless,
well I would imagine the debian kernels to have the same drivers
available. As for grml-network, while nice may be not the perfect
solution for an installed system (I don't think it supports network
profiles, etc for people who move about), may be another tool like wicd
would be suitable or even better (wicd has a command line, curses and
gnome interface and is reasonably accessible with a screen reader, could
be better in some areas for accessibility).

Michael Whapples