[Grml] hwclock in UTC vs. local time

Darshaka Pathirana dpat at syn-net.org
Thu Apr 29 02:10:57 CEST 2010

On 04/22/2010 05:13 PM, Darshaka Pathirana wrote:
> On 04/20/2010 01:46 PM, Darshaka Pathirana wrote:
>> On 04/20/2010 12:16 PM, Bob wrote:
>>> To see what the timezone setting is: 'tzselect'
>>> To change the timezone: ’dpkg-reconfigure tzdata’
>>> Look at 'man tzselect'
>> Thx. I know that. My problem is not about the timezone but much more
>> about the hwclock set to UTC vs. local time. According to the
>> start-scripts a variable UTC in "/etc/default/rcS" is used to honor
>> this behavior.
>>
>> And I have no easy way of fixing this (after booting up) without
>> fidling around with hwclock and "dpkg-reconfigure tzdata"...
>
> Okay.. after taking a few seconds to really check what was going on
> the solution is as simple as:
>
> % hwclock -s --localtime
>
> I've added a localtime module to grml-quickconfig and attached the
> patch. Hopefully it will find it's way to the package. ;) (I did /not/
> change the changelog.)

Tested the new grml-release recently and it seems that the variable
UTC has been changed to "no" which means the problem moved to systems
where the hwclock is set to UTC. The solution there would then be:

% hwclock -s --utc

Therefor my patch for grml-quickconfig got absolete. Maybe it should
take the UTC-variable into account and/or give the opportunity
to switch the time-setting from utc to localtime and vice versa...

> Btw: @mika: why was the "Happy Hacking"-output was dropped? I liked it. ;)

Greetings,
 - Darsha