[Grml] I got Espeakup finally to work

Hermann meinelisten at onlinehome.de
Thu May 28 12:50:54 CEST 2009

On 28.05.2009 at 12:28:13 Michael Whapples <mwhapples at aim.com> wrote:

> Good to hear you've got it working. While you didn't ask for it, I can
> imagine it would be useful, would you like the swspeak script to
> identify your language and start espeakup with the correct -V option? My
> idea is that all this stuff should be as transparent to the user as
> possible (IE. you've set your language, the console may be using your
> language, so why should you need to set extra for your speech to speak
> your language). Or would it be better to be an espeakup enhancement to
> auto detect your language? If I get time I may look at this.

I guess it would be better to implement an autodetection of the locale in
Espeakup, since swspeak not only starts Espeakup, but also Speechd-up,
where, maybe, a different approach is needed.
Note that Speechd-up almost detects the locale correctly, and only the
characters file must be edited; Espeakup failed completely till 0.6 and
the characters file has to be edited as well.

> Any thoughts, personally I would have thought espeakup would be the
> better place although swspeak script may be easier for me to modify.

See above. But what about that characters file? I guess this is due to
Speakup. It should be possible that Speakup identifies the locale on
start up. Has this been discussed on the Speakup list?
Hermann