[Grml] I got Espeakup finally to work

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Thu May 28 13:38:56 CEST 2009

I don't know whether locale detection in speakup has been discussed on
the speakup list, I don't know whether speakup can do locale detection
or not as it is kernel modules. If I don't see a message from you on the
speakup list soon I will ask for you and try and find out.

Regarding the replacing of speakup's tables, I thought speechd-up did
that, may be I am thinking of 0.4, have you tried updating speechd-up to
that (it would require compiling it from source as GRML comes with
speechd-up 0.3). My thought is that may be the thinking is for
synths/synth connectors to set up the speakup table to work with them
(eg. by default speakup's characters table says "zehd" for the letter
z,this is due to Kirk the author of speakup being Canadian and like us
in the UK don't like the American "zee" of US synths, however due to
this espeak says the letter z unusually when using speakup, this
indicates the table may need to be synth specific).

Michael Whapples