[Grml] Adding packages

T o n g mlist4suntong at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 11 05:15:02 CET 2009

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 15:32:01 +0100, Lars-Erik Helander wrote:

> Regarding the persistence solution, I think I would rather like to have
> a solution where the installed packages are not forced to be loaded into
> main memory - as I understand that the live-snapshot would do, or ...?
> Do grml have some toolchain that will allow me to either add stuff to an
> existing squashfs or have the system "union mount" additional squashfs
> files?

Yes, the "layered module architecture" feature is actually provided by
live-initramfs itself. Check out it man pages, it is trivial to add
layered module as you wish.

So far, I have just been putting the modules that I build for slax on
top of grml, about 7 layered modules on top of grml. It works perfectly,
but they are all my home, text or script files though. I.e., no debian
packages involved in the layered modules yet.
Ref http://bts.grml.org/grml/issue523

Moreover, I've build a standalone script (by patching live-initramfs) to
give users the ability to insert modules into live system on the fly, and/
or remove them as well. I.e., anding/removing layered modules does not
have to be on boot only, but can also happen any time. Ref:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.live/4464/focus=4579

I've send the patches to mika, but hasn't get around to check the latest
availability status yet.
Ref: http://bts.grml.org/grml/issue650

cheers

--