[Grml] Using stable Debian brnaches for packages on GRML

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sun Mar 8 00:47:31 CET 2009

Keith Hinton <keithint1234 at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you wish to use GRML as  a hard disk system, what happens if you
> attempt to use stable Debian packages to avoid breaking things?

I'm not sure, but you can just use GRML to install a Debian Stable system to
your hard disk with Debootstrap if you really care about that level of
stability.
> Why Apache and stuff is included on a Debian-unstable system is beyond
> me. Especially because the software should not be included in the
> first place.

Debian Stable moves too slowly for most of us, including the GRML developers,
I assume.

Unstable is much more reliable than you might think, and Debian Testing even
more so. I know of people who run Debian Testing on their servers without any
trouble.

With respect, please do your homework before criticizing decisions made by
people who are more knowledgeable than you are. It would have been better to
ask the question instead of proclaiming that certain packages (or versions of
packages) shouldn't be included in a distribution.
> People may get the idea that servers can be  ran on grml!
> For a blind user that has discovered GRML, the user may go running
> programs/services never intended for use on GRML!
> What do you all think of this?

Not a problem.
> I have read the Debian unstable FAQ, and the answer in that document
> is "Are you insaine? No!" To the question about "Should I run
> Debian-Sid on my server?"

That's somewhat extreme, and as I said, Debian Testing is considered by some
to be sufficiently stable for server use.
> GRML includes Speakup accessibility, wich I require in my Linux
> kernels; and often don't have time to compile a Linux kernel,
> therefore I use GRML. Would I be better off installing a plain Debian
> system rather than GRML perhaps on my laptop When I get back in the
> next few weeks to set it up?

I run Debian Sid on my desktop and laptop, have done so for almost ten years,
and I've rarely encountered a problem that took more than a few minutes to
fix. Most of the time, it works well, and I just keep upgrading it every week
or two.

Your needs and tolerance for the occasional package downgrade may be
different. I don't know.