[Grml] Creating a bootable DVD using grml and grml64

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sun Jun 7 03:11:42 CEST 2009

* Ernesto Domato <edomat at gmail.com> [20090606 21:51]:

> Hi, I'd like to create a bootable DVD from the ISOs of grml and grml64
> so I can boot whichever of the two flavors or even aggregate the rest
> of the ISOs to the DVD (small and medium for i585 and amd64).

What a lovely idea! :)

> I tried to use grml2usb doing this:

> 1) dd if=/dev/zero of=dvd.iso bs=1M count=2000
> 2) losetup /dev/loop1 dvd.iso
> 3) echo -en "n\np\n1\n\n\nt\n6\na\n1\n w\n" | fdisk /dev/loop1
> 4) mkfs.vfat /dev/loop1
> 5) grml2usb grml_2009.05.iso grml64_2009.05.iso /dev/loop1

> But it didn't work. There's seems to be some problem when installing
> the bootloader.

> What did you think?, Is it possible to do what I want?, should I use
> grml-live to create custom ISOs?.

Yes, it's possible to get what you want - without having to use
grml-live. :)

I just implemented support for loopback devices in grml2usb.
Please grab the current version of the script and give it a try:

  http://git.grml.org/?p=grml2usb.git;a=blob_plain;f=grml2usb;hb=HEAD

Note: to build a bootable ISO you've to generate the according
eltorito boot image. As grml2usb can generate the configuration
files for syslinux/grub already I just wrote a script which
generates the eltorito boot stuff. All the steps from 0 to a
multiboot ISO are implemented in the following script:

  http://grml.org/tmp/grml2usb-to-iso.sh

Just adjust it according to your needs. It's a bit hackish for now,
though it should do what it's supposed to do. I'm thinking about
providing an official grml2usb-to-iso script as part of the official
grml2usb suite.

Please let me know if it works for you, then I'd upload a new
grml2usb version and work on a final solution of grml2usb-to-iso.

> Greettings and excuse for my english but it's now my native language.

No problem, it's just fine - I'm not a native english speaker as
well. ;)

> PS: if it can be done, I'd like to make a CD with for example
> grml-medium and grml64-medium on it too

Sure, no problem - just works with the steps mentioned above. :)