[Grml] grml2hd on a usb stick - wear level issues

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Tue Sep 16 00:07:48 CEST 2008

* Peter <vmail at mycircuit.org> [20080914 01:25]:

> I would like to install grml to a usb stick. (not as a live cd but as a
> hard disk install). Since this is flush memory, with limited write
> cycles, I wonder if I have to take special with some files or
> directories that might perform to a high number of write access. For
> example, I can not create a swap partition since this will rapidly ruin
> the stick.
> My question is: are there other files (for examples in the /dev /tmp
> /var dirs) that are written very frequently and that should be mapped
> for example to a tmpfs or ramdisk ?

/dev is already a tmpfs by default - so nothing to do.

Using a tmpfs for /tmp makes sense if you have enough RAM (I just
love tmpfs for fast development stuff :)).

In /var usually /var/log is interesting, the rest depends on your
usage pattern. ;)

Check out what laptop-mode-tools do, e.g. increasing the limit
between syncs/flushes to your device is useful. Though do not
underestimate nowadays usb sticks, the better ones have amazing live
times. :)