[Grml] grml-debootstrap misc questions

Michael Gebetsroither gebi at sbox.tugraz.at
Wed Sep 3 05:20:02 CEST 2008

T o n g wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 00:44:52 +0200, Michael Gebetsroither wrote:
>
>>> necessary, I think it is pretty safe to add the following line at the end
>>> of function mount_target() in grml-debootstrap
>>>
>>>    mount --bind /var/cache/apt/archives $MNTPOINT/var/cache/apt/archives
>
> of course, need mkdir -p $MNTPOINT/var/cache/apt/archives beforehand.
>
>>> then umount it somewhere during clean up.
>>>
>>> Each Debian system would have such /var/cache/apt/archives directory, so I
>>> think it is pretty safe to do so. This will allows us to do
>>> grml-debootstrap over and over without downloading Debian packages more
>>> then once.
>> This is dangerous und not possibel as apt locks
>> /var/cache/apt/archives/lock. Thus it would be impossibel to run 2
>> parallel grml-debootstraps or use apt-get in the host system.
>>
>> Instead a hint to approx would be much better (maybe even automatic
>> handling).
>
> Yes, that does make sense.
>
> However, I'm using grml-debootstrap to build a minimum system, thus I'm
> incline to install the extra approx into both host and chroot environment,
> just to eliminate a risk that is rather low. Furthermore, approx has a big
> overhead, I don't want to pull in OCaml just for it.

You know that you do _not_ need approx in the chroot?

> I will never need to run 2 parallel grml-debootstraps or use apt-get in the
> host system, so bind-mount is a more suitable solution for me, which does
> not bring in any other extra dependencies.

So you just propose to break everyone others setup (including the host
system during the boostrap process)?

The mount --bind is a quick-hack which might be of interest for a
one-way shot install in a live environment.
A commandline option should be fine but it should _never_ be the default!

cu,
michael