[Grml] grml-debootstrap misc questions

T o n g mlist4suntong at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 3 04:53:41 CEST 2008

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 00:44:52 +0200, Michael Gebetsroither wrote:

>> necessary, I think it is pretty safe to add the following line at the end
>> of function mount_target() in grml-debootstrap
>>
>>    mount --bind /var/cache/apt/archives $MNTPOINT/var/cache/apt/archives

of course, need mkdir -p $MNTPOINT/var/cache/apt/archives beforehand.

>> then umount it somewhere during clean up.
>>
>> Each Debian system would have such /var/cache/apt/archives directory, so I
>> think it is pretty safe to do so. This will allows us to do
>> grml-debootstrap over and over without downloading Debian packages more
>> then once.
>
> This is dangerous und not possibel as apt locks
> /var/cache/apt/archives/lock. Thus it would be impossibel to run 2
> parallel grml-debootstraps or use apt-get in the host system.
>
> Instead a hint to approx would be much better (maybe even automatic
> handling).

Yes, that does make sense.

However, I'm using grml-debootstrap to build a minimum system, thus I'm
incline to install the extra approx into both host and chroot environment,
just to eliminate a risk that is rather low. Furthermore, approx has a big
overhead, I don't want to pull in OCaml just for it.

I will never need to run 2 parallel grml-debootstraps or use apt-get in the
host system, so bind-mount is a more suitable solution for me, which does
not bring in any other extra dependencies.

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/