[Grml] grml-debootstrap misc questions

Michael Gebetsroither gebi at sbox.tugraz.at
Wed Sep 3 00:44:52 CEST 2008

T o n g wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 23:36:30 +0200, Michael Prokop wrote:

> The bind mounting /var/cache/apt/archives is a trick that I've been using
> for years. Never cause me any problem. Since the bind mounting apt
> configure files are dangerous, thus adding a bind-mount option is not
> necessary, I think it is pretty safe to add the following line at the end
> of function mount_target() in grml-debootstrap
>
>    mount --bind /var/cache/apt/archives $MNTPOINT/var/cache/apt/archives
>
> then umount it somewhere during clean up.
>
> Each Debian system would have such /var/cache/apt/archives directory, so I
> think it is pretty safe to do so. This will allows us to do
> grml-debootstrap over and over without downloading Debian packages more
> then once.

This is dangerous und not possibel as apt locks
/var/cache/apt/archives/lock. Thus it would be impossibel to run 2
parallel grml-debootstraps or use apt-get in the host system.

Instead a hint to approx would be much better (maybe even automatic
handling).

e.g
apt-get install approx
echo 'debian      http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian' >>/etc/approx/approx.conf