[Grml] Install on LVM: some questions

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sat May 31 19:42:55 CEST 2008

* Cleverson <clever92000 at yahoo.com.br> [20080530 04:36]:

> I have one only HD, and was thinking of using LVM to install GRML to one or more
> logical partitions. But I've read that such setup is more likely to have
> problems regarding boot and files corrumtion.

> If someone has installed the entire system onto logical partitions,
> could please tell whether or not it's really more dangerous? Is it
> worth to give it a try?

# mount | grep mapper
/dev/mapper/x61-grml2hd on / type ext3 (rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/mapper/grml-crypt_home on /home type ext3 (rw,noatime)
[...]

I've all the partitions on LVM. :)

> Also, I wouldn't like to lose any performance. Is there any slow
> down in any way?

No significant difference. I use LVM wherever I can, it's just worth
its use.

> Last for now: during the installation process, does grml2hd allow
> to place the root directory / in one partition, and /home in
> another?

No [not yet]. But just mv /home to /home.old, create /home and copy
data as needed and finally adjust /etc/fstab. ;)