[Grml] RC 1.1 troubles (ignore last post)

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Mon Jan 7 21:47:25 CET 2008

* C.M. Brannon <cmbrannon at cox.net> [20080107 21:31]:
> Michael Prokop <mika at grml.org> writes:

> > Are you sure the ISO on your CD is *really* OK? Any chance to test
> > it on another system to check whether it basically works at all?

> Well, all of the MD5 digests were verified.  I even did
> md5sum -c /mnt/cdrom/grml/md5sums
> and all files were OK.
> I tried it on another machine, and it wouldn't boot.  So it seems that
> my disk must be defective, even though the contents of the filesystem
> are OK according to md5sum.  I can think of several culprits.  For
> one, I use cheap generic CD-R media.  I'll try this process again,
> with some higher-quality disks.

Use readcd (something like "readcd -c2scan dev=/dev/cdrom") for
checking the CD. md5sums sadly just aren't enough. :((

I strongly recommend the use of USB pens instead of CD-Rs if
possible, otherwise fall back to higher quality CDs which are known
to work fine with your CD burner. That's what we as grml developers
do as well. :)