[Grml] alps touchpad rc1

martin yazdzik yazdzik at nyct.net
Mon Nov 26 12:45:04 CET 2007

Dear Mika and friends,

rc1 of 1.1 does everything just about perfectly - install is dead clean,
and, as long as one knows what sources to use, one can have a complete
desktop environment with all the bells and whistles pretty quickly.

My Dell laptop, however, and most dell latitudes, which is a high
percentage of business users' machines, uses the alps touchpad.
Normally, the synaptics driver is loaded, no problem, but grml-x does
not configure it, nor can I, even simply copying my current xorg.conf,
get it to work.

  I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0008 Version=6337
  N: Name="AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint"
  P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
  S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input2
  U: Uniq=
  H: Handlers=mouse1 event2 ts1
  B: EV=f
  B: KEY=420 0 70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  B: REL=3
  B: ABS=1000003

instead, the pointing stick thing works, but both should.

  I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0008 Version=0000
  N: Name="PS/2 Mouse"
  P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input1
  S: Sysfs=/devices/virtual/input/input1
  U: Uniq=
  H: Handlers=mouse0 event1 ts0
  B: EV=7
  B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  B: REL=3

Both work in sidux, but I hate to have to reinstall it just to get the
xorg.conf from it, if indeed, that is even the problem.

same hwinfo from my working grml

  I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0008 Version=0000
  N: Name="PS/2 Mouse"
  P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input1
  S: Sysfs=/class/input/input1
  U: Uniq=
  H: Handlers=mouse0 event1 ts0
  B: EV=7
  B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  B: REL=3

  I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0008 Version=6337
  N: Name="AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint"
  P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
  S: Sysfs=/class/input/input2
  U: Uniq=
  H: Handlers=mouse1 event2 ts1
  B: EV=f
  B: KEY=420 0 70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  B: REL=3
  B: ABS=1000003

What is up? Is this yet another udev does not like something issue?

best,

"You don't subject minority rights to a referendum." Justice Minister
Irwin Cotler of Canada