[Grml] Installing grml on a USB Flash Drive

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Thu Nov 22 08:44:44 CET 2007

* Mathew Brown <mathewbrown at fastmail.fm> [20071122 04:58]:

>   I know that you can install grml easily on a usb flash drive and was
>   wondering if grml has any special options for flash drives
>   installation, as, from my understanding, flash drives have a limited
>   number of write and erase cycles before failure.  Does grml allow you
>   to write all hard disk changes to RAM (in a ramdisk) and then allow
>   you to either commit these changes when closing your session?  Does
>   grml have any flash-friendly options?  Thanks for your help.

All write actions are redirected to the ramdisk by default, just
check out what's unionfs/aufs and how it's used if you are
interested in the details. If you search for persistent root
(configuration for example can be stored already using the config
framework: http://grml.org/config/): that's on our todo list.