[Grml] TTYS 4 and 5

Andri Handoko aphandoko at yahoo.com
Fri May 25 04:10:52 CEST 2007

Hi,
  I'm using the grml-small 0.3. There are only 4 serials, ttyS0 - ttyS3, in
/dev folder, and I'm trying to use /dev/ttyS4 and /dev/ttyS5.
I created the ttyS4 and ttyS5 manually in /etc/init.d/bootlocal.last.  Use
the mknod to create the device and setserial to assign the port and
interrupt channel. Please see the list of commands below:

mknod -m 660 /dev/ttyS4 c 4 68
chown root.dialout /dev/ttyS4
mknod -m 660 /dev/ttyS5 c 4 69
chown root.dialout /dev/ttyS5
setserial /dev/ttyS4 irq  5 port 0x1c0 ^fourport autoconfigure baud_base
115200 -v low_latency
setserial /dev/ttyS5 irq  0 port 0x1c8 ^fourport autoconfigure baud_base
115200 -v low_latency

The setserial command returns "/dev/ttyS#: No such file or directory" for
both devices where # is 4 and 5.
Is this because the kernel only support up to 4 serial devices? if this is
the case, is CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS is the variable that I have to
change, "CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS=4" to "CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS=6"
in the grml-small kernel configuration?
Thanks a bunch..
Cheers
Andri