[Grml] grml2hd with a preexisting partition

Michael Hammer michael at derhammer.net
Sun Mar 11 14:24:46 CET 2007

Am Sonntag, den 11.03.2007, 13:04 +0100 schrieb Michael Prokop:
> * C.M. Brannon <cmbrannon at cox.net> [20070311 04:15]:
>
> > I just discovered Grml recently.  I want to install it on my laptop's
> > hard drive, using grml2hd.
> > The laptop already runs Slackware 11.0.
> > I chose a really lousy partitioning scheme when I installed Slackware:
> > /dev/hda1, /boot, approx 40Mb
> > /dev/hda2, swap, approx 512 Mb
> > /dev/hda3, /, the remaining 19.5 Gb
>
> > I don't want to get rid of /home when I install Grml, because it holds
> > several gigabytes of assorted files.
> > Is it possible to make grml2hd install to /dev/hda3 without destroying
> > /home?
>
> Generic answer: no.
>
> Hacker's answer without any guaranty (everyone has backups, right? :)):
> adjusting the initialize() function within /usr/sbin/grml2hd
> (deactivating the $MKFS and tune2fs lines) might do what you want.

Wouldn't it be a better way to shrink the / partition and create your
own /home partition? Than you can copy your actual /home to this new
partition. This depends on the used fs (for ext3, reiserfs or something
similar this shouldn't be a problem) but afterwards you would have
solved your problems and would have your "wished" /home partition ;)

Once again, this solution doesn't replace a working backup!

greetings michael