[Grml] grml2hd with a preexisting partition

C.M. Brannon cmbrannon at cox.net
Sun Mar 11 22:02:26 CET 2007

Michael Prokop <mika at grml.org> writes:

> * C.M. Brannon <cmbrannon at cox.net> [20070311 04:15]:
>> I don't want to get rid of /home when I install Grml, because it holds
>> several gigabytes of assorted files.
>> Is it possible to make grml2hd install to /dev/hda3 without destroying
>> /home?
>
> Generic answer: no.
>
> Hacker's answer without any guaranty (everyone has backups, right? :)):
> adjusting the initialize() function within /usr/sbin/grml2hd
> (deactivating the $MKFS and tune2fs lines) might do what you want.
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I ended up doing a fresh install with grml2hd, and copying the home partition
from my primary system to my laptop with rsync.
That worked as well as anything.

BTW, Grml is great!  I'm a blind user.  After putting the CD in the drive
and typing "grml swspeak", I had software speech.
Now I can turn anybody's boring Windows box into a talking Linux system...
Very cool!

-- Chris