[Grml] noon initrd question

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Mon Jul 16 18:35:59 CEST 2007

* martin yazdzik <yazdzik at nyct.net> [20070716 18:11]:

> On my explerimental partition, just for fun, and to test drivers, &c, I
> sometimes do things either adventursome or stupid, depending upon one's
> point of view.

> I should like to install the grml 2.6.22 kernel, but, having installed
> the image, sources, some modules I use, &c,  after mkinitrdramfs while
> the package is built and installed, lilo is correct, upon boot
> everything fails because, at least according to the running text, it
> does not find /lib/modules...?

> Now, lib modules 2.6.22 is there, but very sparsely populated.

> Could someone, forgiving my inexperience and inadequacy, tell me, step
> by step, how to make this kernel work, as I am either failing to install
> something necessary, or failing to create the proper initrd image?

If you are using the grml-testing repository just run
'aptitude install linux-image-2.6.22-grml', otherwise just download
http://dufo.tugraz.at/~prokop/grml-kernel/2.6.22-grml/linux-image-2.6.22-grml_grml.01_i386.deb
and install it using 'dpkg -i linux-image-2.6.22-grml_grml.01_i386.deb'.

Make sure you have a initramfs for booting your box with the new
kernel version, in case of question just execute
'update-initramfs -c -t -k 2.6.22-grml'.

Finally make sure you have an entry for 2.6.22-grml in
/etc/lilo.conf when using lilo and don't forget to execute lilo
then. If you are using Grub just run 'update-grub'.

That's it and that's the way how I upgrade my systems as well. :)