[Grml] Re: Upgrading Grml-Small0.4 HD install

- Tong - mlist4suntong at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 12 16:16:39 CEST 2007

Thanks for the reply mika,

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 15:45:33 +0200, Michael Prokop wrote:

>> - how to prevent it from happening again?
>
> Make sure you check the files where you are asked questions like:
>
> | What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
> | Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
> | N or O : keep your currently-installed version
> | D : show the differences between the versions
> | Z : start a new shell to examine the situation
> | The default action is to keep your current version.
>
> So by default you won't accept the new file (unless you choose 'I')
> but instead use the old file and a .dpkg-new will be generated for
> further actions.

Strange, I thought I chose 'Y', ie, 'I'. What's even more strange is that,
there is /etc/init.d/grml-reboot.dpkg-new file in
my system but no /etc/init.d/grml-reboot. All the .dpkg-new files are like
this. If I've chosen N or O, I'd have a /etc/init.d/grml-reboot left,
correct?

> According to your specific problem: looks like something changed
> /etc/init.d/grml-reboot on your system (so the hashsum of the file
> stored in package management and the one of current
> /etc/init.d/grml-reboot don't match). Assuming that it wasn't you
> who changed the file on your own I'll check that out on my own so it
> won't happen with the next grml-small version.

Oh, I thought that they were upgraded because they were out-dated. Thanks
for the info, I'll look closely next time. FYI, this behavior is not
grml-package specify, here is a list of all my .dpkg-new files:

 /etc/X11/windowlab/windowlab.menurc.dpkg-new
 /etc/X11/xorg.conf.vmware.dpkg-new
 /etc/X11/xorg.conf.example.dpkg-new
 /etc/zsh/zshrc.original.dpkg-new
 /etc/zsh/zlogin.original.dpkg-new