[Grml] Upgrading Grml-Small0.4 HD install

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sun Aug 12 15:45:33 CEST 2007

* - Tong - <mlist4suntong at yahoo.com> [20070812 14:44]:

> Ever since I did 'apt-get upgrade' in my Grml-Small v0.4 HD install, I
> can't use  'shutdown now' or 'reboot' properly any more. E.g., reboot will
> complain that '/etc/init.d/grml-reboot' not found.

> I looked into the problem, learned that /etc/init.d/grml-reboot is from
> grml-etc, but I have grml-etc installed.

> Finally I found that somehow the 'apt-get upgrade' installed the
> '/etc/init.d/grml-reboot' file as '/etc/init.d/grml-reboot.dpkg-new'.

> I don't understand why apt-get/dpkg is doing this, ie, deliberately
> breaking my working system. I remember lots of packages have been updated,
> I don't know how many those .dpkg-new files are out there breaking my
> system. So,

> - how to fix the problem?

mv /etc/init.d/grml-reboot.dpkg-new /etc/init.d/grml-reboot

> - how to prevent it from happening again?

Make sure you check the files where you are asked questions like:

| What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
| Y or I : install the package maintainer’s version
| N or O : keep your currently-installed version
| D : show the differences between the versions
| Z : start a new shell to examine the situation
| The default action is to keep your current version.

So by default you won't accept the new file (unless you choose 'I')
but instead use the old file and a .dpkg-new will be generated for
further actions.

According to your specific problem: looks like something changed
/etc/init.d/grml-reboot on your system (so the hashsum of the file
stored in package management and the one of current
/etc/init.d/grml-reboot don't match). Assuming that it wasn't you
who changed the file on your own I'll check that out on my own so it
won't happen with the next grml-small version.