[Grml] Re: Upgrading Grml-Small0.4 HD install

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Mon Aug 13 23:35:16 CEST 2007

* - Tong - <mlist4suntong at yahoo.com> [20070812 16:17]:
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 15:45:33 +0200, Michael Prokop wrote:

> > So by default you won't accept the new file (unless you choose 'I')
> > but instead use the old file and a .dpkg-new will be generated for
> > further actions.

> Strange, I thought I chose 'Y', ie, 'I'. What's even more strange is that,
> there is /etc/init.d/grml-reboot.dpkg-new file in
> my system but no /etc/init.d/grml-reboot. All the .dpkg-new files are like
> this. If I've chosen N or O, I'd have a /etc/init.d/grml-reboot left,
> correct?

Yes. no files should be lost.

That's very strange, I'll try to reproduce that on my own.

> > According to your specific problem: looks like something changed
> > /etc/init.d/grml-reboot on your system (so the hashsum of the file
> > stored in package management and the one of current
> > /etc/init.d/grml-reboot don't match). Assuming that it wasn't you
> > who changed the file on your own I'll check that out on my own so it
> > won't happen with the next grml-small version.

> Oh, I thought that they were upgraded because they were out-dated. Thanks
> for the info, I'll look closely next time. FYI, this behavior is not
> grml-package specify, here is a list of all my .dpkg-new files:

>  /etc/X11/windowlab/windowlab.menurc.dpkg-new
>  /etc/X11/xorg.conf.vmware.dpkg-new
>  /etc/X11/xorg.conf.example.dpkg-new
>  /etc/zsh/zshrc.original.dpkg-new
>  /etc/zsh/zlogin.original.dpkg-new
>  /etc/zsh/completion.d/_grml-x.dpkg-new
>  /etc/zsh/zshenv.original.dpkg-new
>  /etc/zsh/zlogout.original.dpkg-new
>  /etc/zsh/zprofile.original.dpkg-new
>  /etc/grml/language-functions.dpkg-new
>  /etc/grml/modules.dpkg-new
>  /etc/grml/autoconfig.functions.dpkg-new
>  /etc/grml/autoconfig.small.dpkg-new
>  /etc/grml/autoconfig.dpkg-new
>  /etc/grml/partconf.dpkg-new
>  /etc/skel/.w3m/config.dpkg-new
>  /etc/skel/.centericq/external.dpkg-new
>  /etc/skel/.asoundrc.example.dpkg-new
>  /etc/skel/.a2ps/a2psrc.dpkg-new
>  /etc/skel/.kshrc.dpkg-new
>  [...rest ignored...]

That's grml specific at least as far as that all those files are
shipped by grml packages. :)

Don't care too much about it (unless you experience problems of
course ;-)). The 'config file handling via dpkg-divert' isn't really
supported in Debian - though I'm wondering what's happening on your
system here. Getting some .original.dpkg-new and .dpkg-old files in
/etc is "normal", but above is something I never experienced so far.
Again, I'll try reproduce it with grml-small 0.4.