[Grml] Upgrading Grml-Small0.4 HD install

- Tong - mlist4suntong at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 12 05:54:37 CEST 2007

Hi,

Ever since I did 'apt-get upgrade' in my Grml-Small v0.4 HD install, I
can't use  'shutdown now' or 'reboot' properly any more. E.g., reboot will
complain that '/etc/init.d/grml-reboot' not found.

I looked into the problem, learned that /etc/init.d/grml-reboot is from
grml-etc, but I have grml-etc installed.

Finally I found that somehow the 'apt-get upgrade' installed the
'/etc/init.d/grml-reboot' file as '/etc/init.d/grml-reboot.dpkg-new'.

I don't understand why apt-get/dpkg is doing this, ie, deliberately
breaking my working system. I remember lots of packages have been updated,
I don't know how many those .dpkg-new files are out there breaking my
system. So,

- how to fix the problem?
- how to prevent it from happening again?

thx a lot

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/