[Grml] serial kernel config, network and ssh

Andri Handoko aphandoko at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 8 03:38:54 CEST 2007

Hi Mika and Grml team,
  I have a request and two questions :)

Request:
  I was just looking at "http://hg.grml.org/grml-kernel" and noticed that
the link "Initial config for 2.6.22-grml64" to the kernel configuration,
still have the serial configuration set to 4.
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS=4
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_RUNTIME_UARTS=4

In the "grml configuration changes for 2.6.22:" link, the
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS is set to 16, and the
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_RUNTIME_UARTS is set to 4.

I was able to recompile the grml-small 0.4 kernel with
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS=16
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_RUNTIME_UARTS=8
and did the test to the serial ports. They are good to go :)  Since I'm
using 6 ports, I set the CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_RUNTIME_UARTS to 8
so I don't have to create the ttyS4..ttyS7 manually.

A request, can you set the CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS to 16, and
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_RUNTIME_UARTS to 8 in the grml small, grml and grml64
kernel configurations. Thanks.

Question 1:
I set "/etc/init.d/ssh start" to bootlocal.last file to run ssh deamon
automatically. Is there proper way to run the ssh daemon, when grml-small
boots?

Question 2:
The PC that I'm using has an ethernet card and a wifi card build in. I also
use a SMC usb-ethernet adapter.  How do I set grml small when it boots up,
the ethernet card is set as eth0 with static ip 192.168.xx.xx, and wifi as
eth1 with dhcp, and usb-ethernet adapter as eth2 when it is plug-in.
In Fedora OS, at "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/" I configured them in
ifcfg-eth0, ifcfg-eth1 and ifcfg-eth2 (usb-ethernet) files.
Currently I have to run the ifconfig ethX ip_address manually. Thanks a
bunch.

Cheers
Andri