[Grml] serial kernel config, network and ssh

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Thu Aug 9 02:15:58 CEST 2007

* Andri Handoko <aphandoko at yahoo.com> [20070808 03:39]:

> Request:
>   I was just looking at "http://hg.grml.org/grml-kernel" and noticed that
> the link "Initial config for 2.6.22-grml64" to the kernel configuration,
> still have the serial configuration set to 4.
> CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS=4
> CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_RUNTIME_UARTS=4

> In the "grml configuration changes for 2.6.22:" link, the
> CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS is set to 16, and the
> CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_RUNTIME_UARTS is set to 4.

> I was able to recompile the grml-small 0.4 kernel with
> CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS=16
> CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_RUNTIME_UARTS=8
> and did the test to the serial ports. They are good to go :)  Since I'm
> using 6 ports, I set the CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_RUNTIME_UARTS to 8
> so I don't have to create the ttyS4..ttyS7 manually.

> A request, can you set the CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS to 16, and
> CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_RUNTIME_UARTS to 8 in the grml small, grml and grml64
> kernel configurations. Thanks.

Thanks for suggestion, will be included in the next kernel build -
see http://bts.grml.org/grml/issue216

> Question 1:
> I set "/etc/init.d/ssh start" to bootlocal.last file to run ssh deamon
> automatically. Is there proper way to run the ssh daemon, when grml-small
> boots?

Boot with 'grml ssh=password_of_your_choice' :)

> Question 2:
> The PC that I'm using has an ethernet card and a wifi card build in. I also
> use a SMC usb-ethernet adapter.  How do I set grml small when it boots up,
> the ethernet card is set as eth0 with static ip 192.168.xx.xx, and wifi as
> eth1 with dhcp, and usb-ethernet adapter as eth2 when it is plug-in.
> In Fedora OS, at "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/" I configured them in
> ifcfg-eth0, ifcfg-eth1 and ifcfg-eth2 (usb-ethernet) files.
> Currently I have to run the ifconfig ethX ip_address manually. Thanks a
> bunch.

Are you talking about live-mode?  If so then check out the
possibitilies of the config framework: http://grml.org/config/ ->
http://grml.org/config/grml-config.html which gives you flexibility
in saving and restoring configuration. Hint: /etc/network/interfaces
is the place where network configuration takes place at Debian/grml.