[Grml] Re: Controlling CPU Frequency

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Thu Aug 9 00:43:05 CEST 2007

* - Tong - <mlist4suntong at yahoo.com> [20070804 00:49]:

> Thanks for the answer. Here are the updates:

> -----------------------------
> % modprobe thermal && echo OK
> OK

Ok.

> % cpufreq-info
> cpufrequtils 002: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2006
> Report errors and bugs to linux at brodo.de, please.
> analyzing CPU 0:
>   no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU

> % source /usr/bin/cpufreq-detect.sh

> % echo $MODULE
> powernow-k8

> % modprobe $MODULE
> FATAL: Error inserting powernow_k8 (/lib/modules/2.6.20-grml/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/powernow-k8.ko): No such device

That's bad, so powernow_k8 does not seem to support your CPU.
What's inside your syslog (/var/log/syslog) when you try to load the
module (modprobe powernow-k8)?

> % cat  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
> cat: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor: No such file or directory
[...]

That's clear, you can't use cpufreq unless the appropriate modules
are loaded.

> To recap, the problems I see are:

> - The thermal kernel loaded ok, but cpufreq-info still says no driver is active

> - cpufreq-detect.sh successfully detected my CPU module,
>   but modprobe return weird error "No such device".

> Here are more testing/info:

> -----------------------------
> % mkdir /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq
> mkdir: cannot create directory `/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq': Operation not permitted

sysfs does not work that way. :)

> % /etc/init.d/powernowd start
> Starting powernowd: required sysfs objects not found!

Sure, as above -> requirements must be fulfilled first of all.

[..]

> # Generated by sensors-detect on Wed Aug  1 18:23:39 2007
> # I2C adapter drivers
> i2c-viapro
> # Chip drivers
> eeprom
> k8temp
> w83627hf

-> What's the output of the 'sensors'-command?