[Grml] Re: Locale settings for US

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sat Sep 30 11:37:17 CEST 2006

* s. keeling <keeling at spots.ab.ca> [20060930 07:15]:
> Incoming from Mark:
> > I am suspicious that we need LC_MONETARY set.

> I'm suspicious that you need to run "dpkg-reconfigure locales" and
> select "en_US ISO-8859-15".  I have that enabled on my system but have
> never used it.  I too run zsh (Canada):

>    LANG="en_CA"
>    LANGUAGE="en_CA"

> (not grml; Debian stable/Sarge), and I've since changed those to
> "....iso885915".  When I get a chance, I'll test them out and report
> back.

grml provides lots of locales already OOTB, take a look at
/etc/locale.gen*. So you shouldn't have to run 'dpkg-reconfigure
locales' on your own.

The script grml-setlang sets environment variables through
/etc/default/locale (which was once known as /etc/environment but
changed in current Debian due to a policy) and zsh configuration of
grml takes care about the environment files (also backwards
compatible).

> > LC_ALL=en_US.iso885915

> I've had problems in the past setting this.  LANG and LANGUAGE
> (optional) should be all that's necessary.  LC_ALL is too overly broad.

Setting LC_ALL is very common on many live-cds including grml until
grml 0.8. With the new language stuff (see
http://grml.supersized.org/archives/185-basic-unicode-support-for-grml.html)
it has been deprecated. (It costed me several hours to implement a
smart, easy-to-use, unicode-capable and backward-compatible system.)

> > CHARSET=iso8859-1

> Uh, what?  Could that be the problem?

Good catch, that's the difference regarding environment stuff I can
see between grml 0.8 and grml 0.8-2 here. It was set in grml 0.8 too
but the variable was never exported. If that's the reason for the
problem I'll take a closer look at it of course.