[Grml] Re: Locale settings for US

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sat Sep 30 11:21:51 CEST 2006

* Mark <27e3kk302 at sneakemail.com> [20060930 02:15]:
> I am suspicious that we need LC_MONETARY set.

This was never set in grml, so I don't see any reason why it should
be set now.

> > How does environment look like in X then? (Just run 'env'.)

> Normal.  Here are the relevant bits:

> ZSHDIR=/home/testuser/.zsh
> SHELL=/bin/zsh
> TERM=xterm
> LC_ALL=en_US.iso885915
> USER=testuser
> COUNTRY=US
> LC_MESSAGES=en_US.iso885915
> LANG=en_US.iso885915
> TZ=US/California
> LANGUAGE=us
> DISPLAY=:0.0
> CHARSET=iso8859-1
> COLORTERM=yes
> WINDOWID=27263014
> XTERM_VERSION=XTerm(210)
> XTERM_SHELL=/bin/zsh

Ok.

> > Does running 'startx 2>~/.xsession-errors' show anything relevant in
> > ~/.xsession-errors?

> The X sessions starts via startxfce4.  X.org 7.1.1 with XFCE 4.4RC1.
> The X.org log file just shows missing fonts.

I'm not interested in the X.org log file but in ~/.xsession-errors. :)

> The keyboard stanza in /etc/X11/xorg.conf is this:

> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>         Option      "CoreKeyboard"
>         Driver      "kbd"
>         Option      "XkbRules"   "xorg"
>         Option      "XkbModel"   "pc105"
>         Option      "XkbLayout"  "us"
> EndSection

Looks ok (same setup here).

> > Which grml-version are you using?

> 0.8-1 development version.  I did not update any grml packages but
> have upgraded others like X.org, etc.  Generally this USB drive
> runs OK.  Nvidia drivers.

Ok.

Maybe running 'apt-get update ; apt-get install grml-etc
grml-etc-core grml-scripts grml-autoconfig' and grml-setlang helps.
I've done a lot of development in the environment/language stuff,
including get rid of the LC_ALL-stuff.