[Grml] Re: RFC: handling of external usb devices

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Fri Sep 8 23:49:46 CEST 2006

* Mark <27e3kk302 at sneakemail.com> [20060908 23:15]:

> > For example I have several devices with label GRMLCFG, so your "It
> > doesn't happen." definitely isn't true.

> Wow, that's right:  grml encourages duplicate labels that way.  Quite a
> bad thing.  How does grml decide among all those duplicates?

That's what you have to expect when designing software.
That's real-life. :)

Of course we recommend to use only *one* device with label GRMLCFG.
The first device found with GRMLCFG label wins, because we use
"blkid -t LABEL=GRMLCFG" and not directly mount.

> > you have to take care of
> > users which are used to "Linux' default".

> Right:  A sysadmin should decide how he wants to do things, and grml
> should maximize his options.  Preference settings can help.

Yes, but non-sysadmins should be able to handle the system as well.
I just don't want to break the system users are used to at all.
Improvements are welcome of course. :)

> > When reading UUID=<insert_long_nummer_here> in fstab you very
> > probably won't know what kind of device it is. That's what I don't
> > like.

> A simple comment line above the UUID solves that.

Yes, another approach on my "design-list". I've to discuss it with
the other grml-devs and find out which solution might be the best.

> Anyway you are the best and will come up with something good.  You asked
> for comments.  Grml listens well.  Even though we may disagree over
> minor stuff, I appreciate grml.  It is the most capable Linux I have
> ever used.  That is saying something too, because I have tried them all.

:)