[Grml] Re: RFC: handling of external usb devices

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Mon Sep 11 00:48:27 CEST 2006

* Michael Prokop <mika at grml.org> [20060909 00:15]:
> * Mark <27e3kk302 at sneakemail.com> [20060908 23:15]:

> > > When reading UUID=<insert_long_nummer_here> in fstab you very
> > > probably won't know what kind of device it is. That's what I don't
> > > like.

> > A simple comment line above the UUID solves that.

> Yes, another approach on my "design-list". I've to discuss it with
> the other grml-devs and find out which solution might be the best.

Ok, I just took some minutes to finally implement it.

(grml-)rebuildfstab supports LABELs and UUIDs now.

One approach is to check all present partitions/filesystems for
their LABELs and if duplicates are found (for example two
filesystems with a LABEL named "TEST") generate just one entry (the
first device found with the label wins when running "mount
/mnt/$LABEL"), this would look like:

  http://grml.org/tmp/gkrellShoot_09-11-06_001808.png

The other approach is to check for label duplicates and use UUIDs
instead for the labels where uniqueness can't be guaranted:

  http://grml.org/tmp/gkrellShoot_09-11-06_002811.png

Both versions add additional information to the fstab-entry so it
should be clear what's going on. Of course all the LABEL/UUID stuff
will be documented. The according /mnt/[$LABEL|$UUID] directories
are created automatically as well, so you don't have to care about
anything at all.

Please let me know what you think about it. I will run some more
tests before grml-rebuildfstab is going online. If we find a
solution most of us like I would prepare a new devel-release so you
can explore all the new development stuff on your own.