[Grml] Remastering grml

Juergen Fiedler juergen.fiedler at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 21:58:16 CET 2006

On 10/27/06, Michael Prokop <mika at grml.org> wrote:

> * Juergen Fiedler <juergen.fiedler at gmail.com> [20061027 21:37]:
>
> >  I think I got the basics of remastering grml down OK: I copy the
> contents of
> >  the squashfs to a writable folder, chroot into it, do whatever I have
> to do,
> >  leave, recompress the image copy it back and rebuild the ISO image.
> Works
> >  well enough.
>
> >  But: The resulting ISO image turns out much bigger than I anticipated.
> For
> >  example, I added a package that takes up about 1.5M on disk, but it
> >  increased the size of the ISO by about 14M. I mad sure to call 'apt-get
> >  clean' before leaving the chroot and to verify that /var/tmp and /root
> were
> >  empty and yet, there is space wasted that I can't account for.
>
> >  Can anyone give me any pointers as to what I can do to make sure that I
> >  don't add unnecessary ballast to my remastered ISO?
>
> That's the magical part of remastering. You have to make sure to
> clean up all files which have been changed during remastering which
> are not relevant.
>
> Hint: take a look at /var/lib/dpkg/ and /var/lib/apt/lists/

I took a long, hard look and right now, I am doing the following in the
chroot:

-----------------------
apt-get clean
find /var/lib/apt/lists/ -type f|xargs rm -f
find /var/lib/dpkg/info/ -type f|xargs rm -f
rm -f /var/lib/dpkg/*-old

At one point, I had taken all of /var/lib/dpkg/info/* out, but it _is_ nice
to still be able to do a 'dpk -l' or some such thing. Anyway: with the above
procedure, I am back at a point where the whole ISO will fit on the CD. I
suppose I could prune /var/lib/dpkg/info/ some more, but I'll do that when I
need the additional space.

Thank you very much!
 -Juergen