[Grml] Remastering grml

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Fri Oct 27 23:32:30 CEST 2006

* Juergen Fiedler <juergen.fiedler at gmail.com> [20061027 21:37]:

>  I think I got the basics of remastering grml down OK: I copy the contents of
>  the squashfs to a writable folder, chroot into it, do whatever I have to do,
>  leave, recompress the image copy it back and rebuild the ISO image. Works
>  well enough.

>  But: The resulting ISO image turns out much bigger than I anticipated. For
>  example, I added a package that takes up about 1.5M on disk, but it
>  increased the size of the ISO by about 14M. I mad sure to call 'apt-get
>  clean' before leaving the chroot and to verify that /var/tmp and /root were
>  empty and yet, there is space wasted that I can't account for.

>  Can anyone give me any pointers as to what I can do to make sure that I
>  don't add unnecessary ballast to my remastered ISO?

That's the magical part of remastering. You have to make sure to
clean up all files which have been changed during remastering which
are not relevant.

Hint: take a look at /var/lib/dpkg/ and /var/lib/apt/lists/

You like grml?  Help us!      http://grml.org/donations/
Already on the grml-user-map? http://www.frappr.com/grmlusers
The Grml Planet               http://planet.grml.org/
Grml Solutions                http://solutions.grml.org/