[Grml] My Grml improvement suggestions

HXC hxc at planet.nl
Tue May 9 15:12:14 CEST 2006

Here are my idea to improve grml even more!

1 Base it on testing (etch)
Forget about unstable. There are enough distro's out there that are
based on debian unstable. I found them all extremely volatile. You never
knew what happens next after a dist-upgrade. Debian Etch on the other is
up to date and without much problems. Another benefit from switching to
Etch would that the developers have more time on their hand to focus on
grml instead of fixing the errors in the unstable branch. And grml would
also stand out more in the excessive amount of debian distro's
available. So I say remove all unstable repositories! ;-)      Users who
really want could add them themselves but _i think that debian etch
shoul be default.

_2 Add an option to install grub instead of lilo with grml2hd.

3 Less windowmanagers please
Grml comes with a whole array of windowmanager most of which are in my
opion not good enough. I think it will provide more clarity  if the
amount of windowmanger would be largely decreased. You seem focused on
fluxbox and I would choose to make that one the default. Thanks to the
debian apt-get system the other windowsmanagers are just an apt-get
install away. You could make an oversight in the grml wiki of the
available windowmanagers and their pro and cons.

I hope this information is helpfull in making grml a better product.
Good luck!