[Grml] aptitude upgrade - lots kept back

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sun Jun 4 14:54:16 CEST 2006

* Tom White <tom at bulldogcountry.com> [20060604 14:48]:
> I used grml2hd to install 2.16.15, and I've upgraded to 2.16.16.

I assume you mean 2.6.15 and 2.6.16 and are talking about your
system based on grml 0.6.

> Now when I run "aptitude upgrade", I have 259 packages kept back.

>  The following packages have been kept back:
>   acpitool alsa-utils apachetop apcupsd-cgi apt apt-utils artwiz-cursor
>   xprint-common xserver-xorg xterm xutils xvfb xvncviewer

> I haven't modified /etc/apt/preferences.  Have I done something
> else wrong, or is 259 packages kept back reasonable?

No, looks reasonable. Most stuff is kept back because of the big
upgrade to Xorg 7.0. So just run 'aptitude update ; aptitude
dist-upgrade' and check what's going on. :)

They are relatively good but absolutely terrible.
		-- Alan Kay, commenting on Apollos