[Grml] Booting an ISO image

Roberto Murer roberto.murer at poste.it
Tue Jun 6 15:22:56 CEST 2006

I am playing with a new laptop, and before touching its partitions I
wanted to use the bootfrom cheatcode to boot from the ISO image.
I am using a Dell Inspiron 9400, which has a SATA hard disk which comes
with Windows on its second partition. I created /grml/boot in C:\ with
the contents of isolinux from the cd, and copied grub.iso to C:\

This is from my menu.lst from GRUB residing on a NTFS partition:

default=0
timeout=7

title "grml"
root (hd0,1)
kernel /grml/boot/linux26 ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=it
apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=grml
bootfrom=/dev/sda2/GRML.ISO
initrd /grml/boot/minirt26.gz

I can reach my GRUB menu, and kernel and initrd seem to load. Then I
reach the place where the script looks for GRML in /dev/hd*, and my
image is not found. Of course, I am then left at a minimal prompt.
If I boot from the CD I can see the contents of the hard disk.

What to do to let the kernel find the ISO?
Thanks to everyone
Roberto