[Grml] ReadOnly Filesystem after upgrade

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Tue Jul 4 14:04:03 CEST 2006

* Werner Schuster (murphee) <werner.schuster at gmail.com> [20060704 13:56]:

>  I use the GRML HD installed version on my laptop (X20);
>  I ran an apt-get upgrade yesterday (monday), which seemed to work alright,
>  but when I rebooted the system later on, the root filesystem is only mounted
>  readonly, and systems like the /prov directory aren't hooked up (the
>  runlevel says "2").

[...]

>  Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong?
>  Were  there some bad package in yesterdays upgrades?

Boot grml from live-cd and run 'dpkg --list file-rc' on your
harddisk system (chroot into it). If it returns 0.8.8 please run

wget http://grml.org/repos/file-rc_0.8.7_all.deb
dpkg -i file-rc_0.8.7_all.deb

and reboot your system - this should fix the problem (if it is
related to the file-rc bug in the Debian package). The old file-rc
version stays in the grml repository preventing users from broken
Debian upgrades until the problem is solved (version 0.8.10 should
be that). Seems you hit the few hours were I wasn't aware of this
Debian problem (thanks for pointer, tube), sorry.