[Grml] grml-small PXE kernel

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Tue Dec 12 21:32:18 CET 2006

* Markus Wigge <mwigge at marcant.net> [20061211 15:15]:

> > The unionfs-module is *not* part of the kernel itself, it's a module
> > (unionfs.ko) located in /modules/ of initrd.

> ok, I updated the kernel to the grml-small kernel and only had a look at
> the modules under /lib/modules...
> I apparently did not notice the /modules directory. Why do you put these
> modules separately from the others?

Because the modules are handled different, and it does not matter at
all - all relevant code is in /linuxrc and handled by our own. Do
*not* mix userspace and initrd parts!

> But I did not yet find the unionfs modules for the grml-small kernel,
> only for the "big" grml kernel.

Take a look at the initrd file minirt26.gz (/modules/unionfs.ko),
seems you are looking at the wrong place (initrd vs. userspace).

> BTW: what tools do you guys prefer to clone partitions (windows and
> linux installations in an education network) partimage seemed to be
> quite unstable on my last tests.

Please be more verbose on the "unstable" for partimage. What kind of
problems did you consider?

You like grml?  Help us!      http://grml.org/donations/
Already on the grml-user-map? http://www.frappr.com/grmlusers
The Grml Planet               http://planet.grml.org/