[Grml] grml-small PXE kernel

Markus Wigge mwigge at marcant.net
Wed Dec 13 15:52:57 CET 2006

Hi again,

>>> The unionfs-module is *not* part of the kernel itself, it's a module
>>> (unionfs.ko) located in /modules/ of initrd.
>
>> ok, I updated the kernel to the grml-small kernel and only had a look at
>> the modules under /lib/modules...
>> I apparently did not notice the /modules directory. Why do you put these
>> modules separately from the others?
>
> Because the modules are handled different, and it does not matter at
> all - all relevant code is in /linuxrc and handled by our own. Do
> *not* mix userspace and initrd parts!
yes, the /linuxrc was the first I saw and where I added the http
download of the stage2 image file.

>> But I did not yet find the unionfs modules for the grml-small kernel,
>> only for the "big" grml kernel.
>
> Take a look at the initrd file minirt26.gz (/modules/unionfs.ko),
> seems you are looking at the wrong place (initrd vs. userspace).
Maybe, I used the netboot package for 0.8 and made my changes, now as
you say it I should had had a look at the originial initrd too.

>> BTW: what tools do you guys prefer to clone partitions (windows and
>> linux installations in an education network) partimage seemed to be
>> quite unstable on my last tests.
>
> Please be more verbose on the "unstable" for partimage. What kind of
> problems did you consider?
Well, like the server crashes as soon as a second client tries to
connect it for example. I'm currently trying to find out why and if the
newer beta has the same trouble (but I think so, I already had similar
issues before I started with grml-small).

Ah, and another point:
"apt-cache show grml-etc-core" says:
Depends: vim | nvi, zsh

Why not "Depends: editor, zsh"? This way I cannot replace nvi by
vim-tiny without breaking dependencies.

/Markus